CAEN prefecture of Calvados
Caen : The city, born from an island fortified by the Normans at the confluence of the Orne and the Odon, takes on importance in the eleventh century when it becomes the favorite city of William the Conqueror who had a castle and two abbeys built: the Abbaye aux Hommes and the Abbaye aux Dames.
After the conquest of Normandy in 1204 by Philip Augustus, the British besieged Caen in 1346 and 1417 and remained there until 1450. The University was founded in the 15th century. Caen enjoyed commercial prosperity in the 16th century.
Photos Comité Départemental du Tourisme du Calvados - click to enlarge
At liberation in 1944, the Battle of Caen lasts 2 months. Bombings and fires destroy much of the city. Caen will be rebuilt around the preserved and restored monuments, and will preserve important green spaces.
The "green city" today offers a very welcoming aspect with its houses built in "stone of Caen", its ancient monuments and its modern achievements. Capital of Lower Normandy, the city has an important university and cultural center. Connected to the English Channel by the 14 km long "Caen Canal", the city is also experiencing intense industrial activity and ever-increasing economic activity.